Howdy, associates! This summer season, there will probably be one other chautauqua on monetary independence in Ecuador. You should consider attending. These Ecuador chautauquas — that are unrelated to the European chautauquas — are at all times a enjoyable, instructional, and bonding expertise.
Clarification: In some unspecified time in the future, chautauqua founders Cheryl Reed and JL Collins parted methods. Now JL runs the European chautauquas — that are on hiatus — with Katie and Alan Donegan. Cheryl continues to run the unrelated Ecuador gatherings. Each occasions are glorious.
I typically communicate concerning the intersection of cash and which means after I attend.
How are you going to discover function in your life — with or without cash? How a lot cash is sufficient? What do you have to do after you have achieved monetary independence? These are the types of questions I’ve explored at previous chautauqua occasions. I count on these are the identical questions being explored in July.
Audio system this yr embrace:
- Tanja Hester from Our Next Life. Tanja Hester is an outspoken voice within the personal-finance neighborhood, working arduous to problem assumptions and to advertise monetary freedom for all. She’s the writer of the wonderful Work Elective and the award-winning Pockets Activism. (Tanja can be a fellow office-supply nerd. Critically, our chat historical past is stuffed with geeky discussions of favourite pens and notebooks.)
- Piggy and Kitty (a.okay.a. Jess and Lauren) from Bitches Get Riches. Lengthy-time readers know that BGR is considered one of my favourite cash blogs. I love how Jess and Lauren mix biting humor with deep dives into personal-finance subjects. Not a simple process. And the Bitches are simply as humorous in particular person as they’re on the net. (I flip to Piggy and Kitty after I need assistance with trendy popular culture. “What does S-tier imply?” “How do I make a Taylor Swift animated GIF?”)
- Jessica and Corey from The Fioneers. Whereas I’ve met Jessica and Corey, I’ve by no means actually had an opportunity to get to know them. I am keen to alter that in Ecuador. I discover their writing thought-about and considerate. I am notably keen on their idea of Slow FI, the notion that you should utilize “the incremental monetary freedom [you] achieve alongside the journey to monetary independence to reside happier and more healthy lives, do higher work, and construct robust relationships”. This meshes nicely with my very own imaginative and prescient of the phases of monetary freedom. (Final Halloween, Jessica and Corey revealed an interview with me: Money doesn’t magically fix our problems.)
And, in fact, we’ll get pleasure from a presentation from our host, Cheryl Reed. Cheryl based these cash chautauquas with JL Collins in 2013 and he or she’s hosted ten of them prior to now. She likes to debate happiness and pleasure and easy methods to develop it in your life.
If you happen to’re concerned with attending this chautauqua, you can find more information at the official website. Word that there are two gatherings in Ecuador this yr. If it would not work to hitch this one, maybe you possibly can attend the second occasion.
Every chautauqua is completely different, in fact, however the 4 earlier retreats I’ve attended all had similarities:
- Attendees collect at a resort for every week of dialog and camaraderie. These are smallish services that enable us to spend time along with few different company. We eat and drink collectively. We stroll collectively. We play video games collectively. We speak about cash collectively. Now we have enjoyable!
- Every day, one (or extra) of the presenters provides a speak about a topic expensive to her coronary heart. (I speak about cash and which means, as an illustration.) These are l-o-n-g shows however they’re enjoyable, interactive, and informative.
- Every attendee meets one-on-one with a presenter. What you do with that point is as much as you. I’ve had folks convey detailed spreadsheets and questions on retirement. I’ve had folks chat with me about journey. I’ve had folks ask for relationship recommendation (no joke!). Usually talking, it is an opportunity so that you can decide an individual’s mind about some form of matter associated to their space of experience.
- There are numerous (non-compulsory) off-site journeys to go to the native space. In Portugal, we visited a vineyard. In Ecuador, we have visited thriving markets, chocolate factories, and butterfly preserves.
From what I’ve seen, nevertheless, the actual worth is within the friendships shaped throughout these weeks. A lot of our time is spent sitting collectively discussing life, the universe, and all the pieces.
I am nonetheless involved with of us from every of the chautauquas I’ve attended prior to now. A few of these of us have change into shut associates with whom I’ve frequent contact. (Our 2016 crew — the Werewolf Hunters — even rented a home in Utah for an in-person reunion. We go to one another every time we’re in one another’s cities and have a semi-active group chat.)
I am unable to promise that you will kind life-long associates throughout this week, however from what I’ve seen, the chances are good. And no marvel. You are gathering with a gaggle of like-minded folks to speak about some deep, private topics. Bonding is sure to happen.
Listed here are just a few favourite photographs from previous chautauquas…
These chautauquas aren’t for everybody, and I do know that. However they’re excellent occasions for a certain class of people. If you happen to assume that you are a kind of folks, hop on over to the website to check out the small print. Perhaps I am going to see you in Ecuador this summer season!
Yet another fast notice: I just lately joined my pal Grant Sabatier on the Earn & Make investments podcast for a dialogue about money burnout. These conversations with Grant and Doc G are at all times entertaining and enlightening.